Amidst a seeming onslaught of decisions to make in planning a wedding, few are as delightful as choosing the cake. After all, what could be better than sampling slice after slice of delicious cake? Here are some of our favorites:
- Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe welcomes customers to enjoy a tasty treat as knowledgeable staff help them make their selections or brush up on German. They are renowned for their strudel, as well as their ever popular red velvet cake. Voted “Best Wedding Vendor” in Washington Magazine Bride & Groom and “Best of Weddings” by The Knot, Wolfgang Büchler and his family have offered only the best in a friendly environment since 1975.
- Georgetown Cupcakes provides a trendy alternative to cakes. Sisters, Katherine and Sophie traded careers in fashion and private equity to pursue something sweeter — their passion for artful cupcakes. Both lifelong bakers, inspired by their grandmothers, they opened Georgetown Cupcake in 2008 as DC’s first and only cupcakery. Watch Katherine and Sophie in action in DC CUPCAKES, their TV series on TLC or read their best-seller The Cupcake Diaries: Recipes and Memories from the Sisters of Georgetown Cupcake.
- Gourmet Amore creates delicious cakes from experienced pastry chef, Rebekah Pizana. A professional food writer and licensed business owner as well as pastry chef, she started the business in 2010. Her pastry work has been published in Brides Maryland and Brides Washington, D.C. and by the online wedding magazine, StyleMePretty.com. Her pastry resume includes Mary’s Cakery in King George, Virginia, Jean-Georges Restaurant at Trump Tower, Market Salamander and at VOLT Restaurant.
- Just Wright Cakes is the place to go for classic creations with lots of charm. Just Wright Cakes & Catering has been doing business for over 16 years. It has evolved from the love of entertaining with food at home and for extended family to organizing events at church to catering luncheons at the University of Rhode Island to starting a birthday party business with a friend. Gourmet meals are still available, but the focus over the past few years has turned to the sweeter side of life.
- Taylor Made Cakes is renowned for delicious cakes and innovative decorations. As a graduate of Cordon Bleu School in London, Carolyn Taylor honed her abilities cooking in France, Boston, Providence, and a variety of locations in the Washington Area. From six-tiered wedding cakes delightful to look at, to deceptively simple gift box cakes adorned with edible bows, her cakes are known for their elegance, texture and flavor. Even when the decorations are at their most elaborate, Ms. Taylor is strict in her choice of ingredients, emphasizing purity and quality. The results are both beautiful and delicious.