In recent years, showers have become a lot more creative, evolving from the afternoon tea for just the bride and her girlfriends, to co-ed themed events with camaraderie and celebration. Recent trends favor activities and outings. Friendship and celebration are the order of the day, with a direct nod to the interests of the bride and groom. The following are a few unique and fun ideas to consider:
- Compliments to the Chef: The party is in the kitchen! In your own home or the venue of your choice, treat the couple’s friends and family to a cooking party with a private chef. From intimate lessons focused on basic cooking techniques to lively cooking parties that will bring people together for great food and fun, tailor the party to the interests of the couple. Consider re-enacting the couple’s favorite TV show with an Iron-chef cooking competition!
- Jack & Jill: Nowadays, the happy couple often is more mature and independent. A Jack & Jill Shower implies a more active setting with less traditional shower gifts. Pick anything or any place that the couple loves and center the shower around an activity related to it. If the couple loves rock climbing, hold the party at an indoor rock climbing spot. If they have a penchant for water sports, arrange for group windsurfing lessons, kayaking or simply have a party on the sand. Go away for a weekend of bonding on the ski slopes or conquer the white water rapids on a rafting and camping trip.
- Made Fore Each Other: A golf themed wedding shower offers many creative ways to show the couple’s love for the sport with numerous exciting tournament formats including mixed couples Scramble, Chapman and Bingo Bango Bongo. Nine holes is plenty for most and fewer is better for some. Tasting stations on the course feature samples of the couple’s favorite food and drinks. Host dinner afterwards in a private room at the Club. Golf shirts embroidered to commemorate the day or logo golf balls are a great favor.
- Bon Voyage: Create the look and feel of the couple's honeymoon destination with a theme shower designed to get them ready for their special trip as newlyweds. If the couple plans to visit a tropical locale, an outdoor party around the pool with a luau theme would be a perfect fit. Add grass skirts and tropical drinks served in coconuts. For food, a pig roast with all the sides is always a popular choice. Decorate the pool area with fresh flowers, paper lanterns and a fire pit!
- Sing the Night Away: Keep the fun going all night with a Karaoke Party. Serve food on old records and decorate a stage area for your guests to shine while they belt out their favorite tunes. Add a disco ball and dance floor. Party rental stores can provide you with the essential supplies like a karaoke machine, a microphone and lots of karaoke CDs with the couple’s favorite songs. For a special touch, have an Elvis impersonator get the party started. Give out prizes for best song, best impersonation, biggest crowd pleaser and most enthusiastic.
Aisle Dish is written by Meredith Thomas, Stoneleigh's in-house Event Consultant. If you would like assistance planning your special day, Meredith offers a complimentary one-hour consultation to all brides hosting their wedding at the Club and is available for further planning services at an additional fee. Contact Meredith at [email protected] or 540.338.4653 ext. 303.